From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: problem with v86d
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 14:49:17
1 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > <covici <at> ccs.covici.com> writes:
6 > > Hi. Does anyone have a clue as to why v86d should suddenly start being
7 > > very cpu intensive on my computer? When I first boot its fine (using
8 > > either systemd or openrc), but after a while -- maybe a day or two it
9 > > starts using up lots of cpu and definitely increases the load average
10 > > and slows down things. I notice this has not changed in several years,
11 > > so I am wondering if it is not working as it used to?
12 > > Thanks in advance for any ideas.
15 > Ok so the first thing I noticed:
18 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/
19 > You don't have permission to access /~spock/projects/uvesafb/ on this server.
20 >
21 > So you need to drop the (gentoo-dev) a line about where to look at his
22 > sources....
23 >
24 > Now looking at the flags {debug x86emu} I see:
27 > sys-apps/v86d: Use x86emu for Video BIOS calls
28 >
29 > If you've been reading the gentoo user list, you can see
30 > much has changed with frame buffers and video drivers recently
31 > in the kernel. The best place to start reading is posting on
32 > 25/may/2014 by Greg Turner.
35 > My best guess is changes in the kernel affect your emulation,
36 > and you'll have much digging to do, if the gentoo -dev that
37 > develops/maintains that code does not "drop a hint" onto your
38 > questions as to "waz sup" with x86emu.
39 >
40 > Are there any notes when you compile it? News? Read the comments
41 > in the ebuild as to new problems?
42 >
43 > good hunting.
44
45 Thanks. I have a fairly old kernel for other reasons and I installed
46 v86d in 2011 and it has not changed since. I use udesafb because I
47 want a frame buffer so I can get a lot more than 80x25 in a virtual
48 console. Iget 64x160. I also need something which will net the nvidia
49 driver work since this is the card I have. I did try the noveau driver,
50 but it did not give me as large of a screen and nvidia driver did not
51 like that driver. I can't remember what it complained about, but it
52 means no X at all.
55 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
56 How do
57 you spend it?
58
59 John Covici