From: Fredrik Tolf <fredrik@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] LVM boot problem
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 16:53:25
1 Hi list!
2
3 I'm having a bit of a problem with LVM2 on Gentoo. See, I have a
4 computer with a couple of hard drives in an LVM, and when it boots, I
5 can see it loading the driver modules for the controller cards properly
6 (I've added them to /etc/modules.autoload.d), but then when it comes to
7 initializing the LVM, it complains that it cannot find all the PVs to
8 initialize the VG. In fact, it complains about _all_ the PVs, as though
9 it found none.
10
11 Later, when the system is booted, I can log in as root and just run
12 "vgchange -ay" to get the VG up. Note that I don't have to run pvscan
13 first, which I'm assuming has to mean that it has somehow managed to
14 find the PVs somewhere in the meantime.
15
16 This problem is quite annoying, since it means that I have to restart
17 NFS and boot the system without the network cable plugged in (if it was,
18 the NFS clients would try to reconnect and get handles to the wrong
19 filesystem, which makes them mark the mount points as stale). Does
20 anyone have any idea what could cause it?
21
22 Thanks for your time!
23
24 Fredrik Tolf