From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM boot problem
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 21:01:25
1 On Thursday 06 April 2006 11:44, Fredrik Tolf <fredrik@×××××××××.com> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] LVM boot problem':
3 > I'm having a bit of a problem with LVM2 on Gentoo. See, I have a
4 > computer with a couple of hard drives in an LVM, and when it boots, I
5 > can see it loading the driver modules for the controller cards properly
6 > (I've added them to /etc/modules.autoload.d), but then when it comes to
7 > initializing the LVM, it complains that it cannot find all the PVs to
8 > initialize the VG. In fact, it complains about _all_ the PVs, as though
9 > it found none.
10
11 Is / on LVM? Are you using an initrd / initramfs? Does your early
12 userspace start a /dev daemon? Does your early userspace have a different
13 lvm.conf then your final userspace?
14
15 > Later, when the system is booted, I can log in as root and just run
16 > "vgchange -ay" to get the VG up. Note that I don't have to run pvscan
17 > first, which I'm assuming has to mean that it has somehow managed to
18 > find the PVs somewhere in the meantime.
19
20 Are all of your pvs standard disks or disk partitions? What modules are
21 being loaded by the gentoo /etc/modules.autoload system? What is your
22 RC_VOLUME_ORDER in /etc/conf.d/rc? Does
23 your /lib/rcscripts/addons/lvm-start.sh
24 contain "/sbin/vgscan --mknodes --ignorelockingfailure >/dev/null"?
25
26 > This problem is quite annoying, since it means that I have to restart
27 > NFS and boot the system without the network cable plugged in (if it was,
28 > the NFS clients would try to reconnect and get handles to the wrong
29 > filesystem, which makes them mark the mount points as stale).
30
31 You might investigate the mpt= /etc/exports option to only export
32 filesystems that have been successfully mounted, at least temporarily.
35 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
36 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
37 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
38 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh