From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 23:51:44
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> It doesn't matter what brand you go with
4 >
5 > Especially true since there are only 2 companies actually making
6 > consumer hard drives anymore: WD and Seagate. Both of them seem to
7 > know what they are doing, for the most part...
8 >
9 > Some hard drives fail at the beginning of their life. All hard drives
10 > fail at the end of their life. :)
15 I'm about to show my age so please close your eyes. Pretty please. -_-
16
17 Way back in the stone age, there was a guy that released a curve for
18 electronics life. The failure rate is high at the beginning, especially
19 for the first few minutes, then falls to about nothing, then after
20 several years it goes back up again. At the beginning of the curve, the
21 thought was it could be a bad solder job, bad components or some other
22 problem. At the other end was just when age kicked in. Sweat spot is
23 in the middle.
24
25 I try to keep these things in mind. Example. I bought a TV a couple
26 years ago. My old TV was about 20 years old and the power supply had
27 some sort of issue. It was either a diode getting weak or a capacitor
28 was going bad. It had the little sine waves going up the screen. It
29 was hard to see but was visible when the screen was all the same colour.
30 Age was creeping up on this thing.
31
32 Anyway, when my DirecTv box went out, it was years old too, I went to
33 get me a new one. While there I saw this nice LCD TV sitting on a shelf
34 and I might add, it looked so lonesome. lol It was marked down about
35 half price. Hmmm, was it repaired or what? I asked a guy what the deal
36 was. He said it was their display model. My first thought was that
37 this could have already went through the first part of the curve. So, I
38 asked how long it was on display. He said about 9 or 10 months. He
39 thinks I am buying used and I'm thinking that this thing has already
40 went through the bad part of its life.
41
42 I walked out with a $800 TV for about $400. I think I got the better
43 deal myself.
44
45 Most of the drives, or other electronics, that I have either die under
46 warranty or die when I am past caring. It has been a good long while
47 since I had to return anything under warranty.
48
49 I'm done showing my age, open your eyes again. LOL
50
51 Dale
52
56 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
57 how you interpreted my words!
58
59 Miss the compile output? Hint:
60 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"