From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 01:41:21
1 On May 10, 2012 6:54 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Paul Hartman wrote:
4 > > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >> It doesn't matter what brand you go with
6 > >
7 > > Especially true since there are only 2 companies actually making
8 > > consumer hard drives anymore: WD and Seagate. Both of them seem to
9 > > know what they are doing, for the most part...
10 > >
11 > > Some hard drives fail at the beginning of their life. All hard drives
12 > > fail at the end of their life. :)
17 > I'm about to show my age so please close your eyes. Pretty please. -_-
18 >
19 > Way back in the stone age, there was a guy that released a curve for
20 > electronics life. The failure rate is high at the beginning, especially
21 > for the first few minutes, then falls to about nothing, then after
22 > several years it goes back up again. At the beginning of the curve, the
23 > thought was it could be a bad solder job, bad components or some other
24 > problem. At the other end was just when age kicked in. Sweat spot is
25 > in the middle.
26 >
27 > I try to keep these things in mind. Example. I bought a TV a couple
28 > years ago. My old TV was about 20 years old and the power supply had
29 > some sort of issue. It was either a diode getting weak or a capacitor
30 > was going bad. It had the little sine waves going up the screen. It
31 > was hard to see but was visible when the screen was all the same colour.
32 > Age was creeping up on this thing.
33 >
34 > Anyway, when my DirecTv box went out, it was years old too, I went to
35 > get me a new one. While there I saw this nice LCD TV sitting on a shelf
36 > and I might add, it looked so lonesome. lol It was marked down about
37 > half price. Hmmm, was it repaired or what? I asked a guy what the deal
38 > was. He said it was their display model. My first thought was that
39 > this could have already went through the first part of the curve. So, I
40 > asked how long it was on display. He said about 9 or 10 months. He
41 > thinks I am buying used and I'm thinking that this thing has already
42 > went through the bad part of its life.
43 >
44 > I walked out with a $800 TV for about $400. I think I got the better
45 > deal myself.
48 Heeey, that's a good point! Now I know that buying display units might be
49 the best deal.
50
51 Thanks, again! I'll now be keeping an eye open for such deals ;-)
52
53 Rgds,