From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Advice
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:22:36
1 Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 02:05:26AM -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >
6 >> I have to disagree with this. I used to use Mandrake and Gentoo is a
7 >> *LOT* faster than Mandrake. I turned off a lot of unused services and
8 >> Mandrake was still pretty slow. This is especially true if you
9 >> customize all the flags you can. I suspect he will see a speed
10 >> difference. Plus he will know what is being installed and why. Gentoo
11 >> IMHO beats Mandrake and others by a long shot.
14 > Well, yes, it may be faster a bit, like 1%, maybe 10%… But if one distro
15 > would be unbearable slow, gentoo would be too. It won't just be faster
16 > 10 times, and yes, that 10% are nice, but not usually worth switching
17 > your distro.
18 >
19 > Have a nice day
23 I did a bit of timing on mine. Gentoo was about twice as fast as
24 Mandrake. I have more stuff running now than I did with Mandrake. I
25 have a good bit of server stuff running on Gentoo too. Gentoo is faster
26 *if* you take the time to set it up right. I'm not saying to use insane
27 flags that make you unstable just that you can optimize it for your CPU
28 and such. It certainly helps a lot.
29
30 Dale
31