From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Quick and dirty install of google chrome binary package
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 02:44:15
1 I tried and liked google chrome for a few months until I got tired
2 of the multi-hour compile every week or so. The chrome-binary ebuild
3 was removed a while ago, I'm guessing because of library version
4 conflicts, but I dunno for sure.
5
6 Anyway, I wanted to try a recent version of chrome without spending
7 all day compiling it on this dusty old x86 machine, so I improvised
8 this easy workaround:
9
10 First, you need x11-libs/libXScrnSaver and app-arch/rpm2targz already
11 installed.
12
13 Next, download the appropriate rpm package from www.google/chrome.
14
15 #cd /tmp (or whatever staging area you prefer, but do it as root)
16
17 #rpmunpack /path/to/your/downloaded/google-chrome-whatever.rpm
18
19 #mv google-whatever/opt/google /opt (the actual chrome binaries)
20
21 (Note: you don't need the etc or usr/bin parts of the archive, so
22 delete the whole /tmp/google-whatever directory now.)
23
24 Make the symlink
25 /usr/bin/google-chrome -> /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome
26
27 When you run google-chrome you will likely see an error for missing
28 libpng12.so.0, which gentoo has replaced with more recent versions
29 like libpng14 or libpng15.
30
31 If you see that error, here is a very quick and easy fix:
32
33 #ebuild /usr/portage/media-libs/libpng/libpng-1.2.46.ebuild compile
34
35 That step will build (but not install) libpng12, so you won't disturb
36 any of your existing packages. The newly built library you need is
37 now waiting for you here:
38
39 /var/tmp/portage/media-libs/libpng-1.2.46/work/libpng-1.2.46/.libs/
40
41 Now copy libpng12.so.0.46.0 to /opt/google/chrome and rename it (or
42 symlink it) to libpng12.so.0, because that is what chrome looks for.
43
44 Complain here if you have problems :)