From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Quick and dirty install of google chrome binary package
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 03:07:10
1 On Feb 7, 2012 9:46 AM, "walt" <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I tried and liked google chrome for a few months until I got tired
4 > of the multi-hour compile every week or so. The chrome-binary ebuild
5 > was removed a while ago, I'm guessing because of library version
6 > conflicts, but I dunno for sure.
7 >
8 > Anyway, I wanted to try a recent version of chrome without spending
9 > all day compiling it on this dusty old x86 machine, so I improvised
10 > this easy workaround:
11 >
12 > First, you need x11-libs/libXScrnSaver and app-arch/rpm2targz already
13 > installed.
14 >
15 > Next, download the appropriate rpm package from www.google/chrome.
16 >
17 > #cd /tmp (or whatever staging area you prefer, but do it as root)
18 >
19 > #rpmunpack /path/to/your/downloaded/google-chrome-whatever.rpm
20 >
21 > #mv google-whatever/opt/google /opt (the actual chrome binaries)
22 >
23 > (Note: you don't need the etc or usr/bin parts of the archive, so
24 > delete the whole /tmp/google-whatever directory now.)
25 >
26 > Make the symlink
27 > /usr/bin/google-chrome -> /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome
28 >
29 > When you run google-chrome you will likely see an error for missing
30 > libpng12.so.0, which gentoo has replaced with more recent versions
31 > like libpng14 or libpng15.
32 >
33 > If you see that error, here is a very quick and easy fix:
34 >
35 > #ebuild /usr/portage/media-libs/libpng/libpng-1.2.46.ebuild compile
36 >
37 > That step will build (but not install) libpng12, so you won't disturb
38 > any of your existing packages. The newly built library you need is
39 > now waiting for you here:
40 >
41 > /var/tmp/portage/media-libs/libpng-1.2.46/work/libpng-1.2.46/.libs/
42 >
43 > Now copy libpng12.so.0.46.0 to /opt/google/chrome and rename it (or
44 > symlink it) to libpng12.so.0, because that is what chrome looks for.
45 >
46 > Complain here if you have problems :)
50 The steps seems to be simple enough to be made into a custom ebuild, don't
51 you think so? ;-)
52
53 Rgds,