From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where be me icons?
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2018 10:33:21
1 On Sunday, 7 October 2018 04:56:07 BST Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > =\
3 >
4 > Because each update basically rebuilds the same three or four
5 > super-packages (libreoffice, chromium, the kde collection, etc) all of
6 > which are version bumped every 12 milliseconds just to annoy ppl like
7 > me, and because I had such a Good Time (tm) last SEVERAL times I tried
8 > to update, I decided to put it off for six months....
9
10 On a stable install the annoyance is much reduced, to the point of being non-
11 existent. Chromium and FF may ask to be updated once every 2-4 weeks. KDE/
12 Plasma once every 3-4 months. Yes, there may be the odd version bump here and
13 there, but not often enough to cause a problem.
14
15 On an ~arch you get what you asked for.
18 > Well later that day X'doze crashes after an uptime of about 30 days...
19 > (So I updated, there were problems but nothing worse than par...)
20 >
21 > Also, I realize that Linux is going to go through a Dark Age and
22 > probably be destroyed and re-built several times before emerging again
23 > as a usable operating system, I am going to be climbing up from my
24 > previous freeze at 4.15 to 4.18 which I will probably have to nurse
25 > through 5-6 years of war and upheval...
26 >
27 > (I am currently on 4.16, will try to go to 4.17 at next boot...)
28 >
29 > The biggest problem I have right now is all the button-icons in fvwm
30 > have gone poof. =(
31 >
32 > I didn't do anything that portage didn't demand I do... The window
33 > manager is really not usable without those icons, I know some of them by
34 > memory but a 3x3 matrix of blank buttons is not acceptable.
35 >
36 > The only two window managers available on gentoo, are twm -- which is
37 > all you need as an emergency de-fsck tool and fvwm which will do 99% of
38 > everything you actually need.
39
40 There are many more. Try:
41
42 ls /usr/portage/x11-wm
43
44 The icons problem you are mentioning is usually caused by a theme not being
45 specified, or the one specified having components missing. I am not familiar
46 with fvwm, but have a look at logs in e.g. ~/.xsession-errors to see what it
47 can't find.
50 Regards,
51 Mick