From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: /var/tmp on tmpfs
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 23:42:34
1 On 02/08/2018 03:32 PM, gevisz wrote:
2 > In this case it would be nice to hear a reason.
3
4 I think the reason probably goes back a number of years. When /tmp was
5 made volatile (ram / swap backed) there was a need for non-volatile temp
6 space. Thus, /var/tmp was created as non-volatile specifically for the
7 purpose to of surviving across reboots. (At least that's my understanding.)
8
9 > That's why I have asked if it does not harm.
10
11 I don't think it will actually harm the Operating System. Some daemons
12 may get cross if files they know that they created no longer exist after
13 a reboot.
14
15 Though things should gracefully handle the absence of such files and
16 re-create them.
17
18 The biggest Ah Ha moment I ever saw someone have was when they spent
19 more than an hour getting a Solaris patch cluster to the machine,
20 extracted it to /tmp, rebooted into single user mode, and went where the
21 $&#* is the patch cluster? That's when someone more experienced asked
22 them where they put it and got to educate them on the error of their ways.
23
24 I doubt that having /var/tmp be volatile will actually break things.
25 But it will likely cause unexpected behavior. IMHO the biggest unknown
26 is if you will be caught by or adversely effected by said unknown.
27
28 Seeing as how we're talking Linux, Gentoo in specific, you are likely
29 power users and configure your systems the way that /you/ want them to
30 be. So, by all means, do what you want.
31
32 I just want to give you some data so that you can make an informed decision.
37 Grant. . . .
38 unix || die

smime.p7s application/pkcs7-signature