From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: /var/tmp on tmpfs
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 22:32:15
1 2018-02-09 0:19 GMT+02:00 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>:
2 > On 08/02/18 23:31, gevisz wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I do not use ccache, and in my /var/tmp I only have /var/tmp/portage
5 >> and /var/tmp/genkernel (I use genkernel to generate initramfs image).
6 >>
7 >> I never use emerge and genkernel at the same time. So, why not to put
8 >> the whole /var/tmp into one tmpfs?
11 > Well, someone here posted that /var/tmp is supposed to persist between
12 > reboots.
13
14 In this case it would be nice to hear a reason.
15 That's why I have asked if it does not harm.
16
17 > Anyway, I don't think it's going to make any difference in system
18 > performance when putting /var/tmp on tmpfs. There's almost nothing in there.
19 > Putting /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs is what's going to help with emerges. It
20 > will give a bit better emerge times as well as lower fragmentation on your
21 > disk.