From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Daemon Group Accounts
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 23:02:51
1 On Friday 16 May 2008, King Spook wrote:
2 > I was looking at my users and groups on my box, and I realized that
3 > certain services add user accounts with specific UIDs, but then just
4 > gets the next GID for it's corresponding group. I know I,
5 > personally, would like to have the UIDs and GIDs match (and I spent
6 > the time with usermod, groupmod, and find fixing it so it was).
7 >
8 > I was wondering if there was any policy for this (and if so, should I
9 > file bugs?), and how other people felt about this, and if there was
10 > any reason not to have the UIDs and GIDs correspond.
11
12 The reason is simple - it doesn't matter and you shouldn't concern
13 yourself with such detail. uids map to usernames so that you can
14 concentrate on meaningful names rather than meaningless 16 bit
15 integers...
16
17 There isn't a one-to-one correspondence between users and groups because
18 this is usually pointless, and because of the following entirely
19 realistic (but made up by me) type of scenario:
20
21 postfix runs as the postfix user
22 postfixadmin runs as the postfixadmin user
23 mailscanner and spamassassin run as the mailscan user
24
25 all three daemon users have the "mail" group as their primary group.
26
27 At this point you have lost the synchronization between uid and gid
28 sequencing and have to insert two blank groups to get it back. This is
29 so grossly inelegant it defies description, utterly completely
30 pointless and a total waste of dev time.
31
32 Some of these accounts are defined in baselayout - the ones that can
33 reasonably be assumed to be needed on almost all machines. The rest
34 result from useradd/groupadd calls from the ebuild, which simply take
35 the next one in sequence.
36
37 The only broken app I have worked with in ages that required me to look
38 up a uid/gid for it's config was postfixadmin, for all others I simply
39 used the user/group name, which is totally sensible.
40
41 By all means file a bug, but be aware Jakub will probably close it
42 immediately as NOTABUG or WONTFIX
45 Alan McKinnon
46 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
49 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list