From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: line wrap over in xterm/konsole
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 08:52:05
1 On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 9:36 AM Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Saturday, 22 June 2019 08:52:56 BST Jorge Almeida wrote:
6 > > However,
7 > > my urxvt behaves as you describe, more or less:
8 > > - open urxvt
9 > > - cat some file with long enough lines
10 > > - lines wrap
11 > > - shrink window (horizontally)
12 > > - contents are NOT redrawn (just like xterm)
13 >
14 > OK, we have a difference in behaviour here. In my urxvt lines longer than the
15 > window shrinking width are redrawn and wrap into the next line.
18 > > - restore window size
19 >
20 > Wrapped lines will now unwrap to take up the increasing window width. Unlike
21 > xterm, no characters are truncated/lost in urxvt.
24 > > - cat same file, etc
25 > > - contents are now redrawn properly!
26 > >
27 > > It appears urxvt does the job by itself (minus what seems to be a bug)
28 >
29 > Jorge, your urxvt seems to work differently to my installations here.
30 > Nevertheless, I'm coming to the conclusion xterm won't behave in the same/
31 > similar way as urxvt when it comes to redrawing its window contents.
32 >
33 Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding: the apparent bug only
34 manifests itself the first time I do the shrinking/restoring stuff,
35 after launching a urxvt window. Following tries will show the desired
36 behaviour. Can you confirm it doesn't happen in your installation?
37
38 Jorge