From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: line wrap over in xterm/konsole
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 08:36:47
1 On Saturday, 22 June 2019 08:52:56 BST Jorge Almeida wrote:
2
3 > There is a dev-libs/libtermkey, which I don't have installed.
4
5 I don't have this installed either. I suppose it does not affect the drawing
6 behavior.
7
8 > However,
9 > my urxvt behaves as you describe, more or less:
10 > - open urxvt
11 > - cat some file with long enough lines
12 > - lines wrap
13 > - shrink window (horizontally)
14 > - contents are NOT redrawn (just like xterm)
15
16 OK, we have a difference in behaviour here. In my urxvt lines longer than the
17 window shrinking width are redrawn and wrap into the next line.
20 > - restore window size
21
22 Wrapped lines will now unwrap to take up the increasing window width. Unlike
23 xterm, no characters are truncated/lost in urxvt.
26 > - cat same file, etc
27 > - contents are now redrawn properly!
28 >
29 > It appears urxvt does the job by itself (minus what seems to be a bug)
30
31 Jorge, your urxvt seems to work differently to my installations here.
32 Nevertheless, I'm coming to the conclusion xterm won't behave in the same/
33 similar way as urxvt when it comes to redrawing its window contents.
36 Regards,
37 Mick