From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: line wrap over in xterm/konsole
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 07:53:13
1 On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 12:44 AM Grant Taylor
2 <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
6 > > This was expected. After all, the output of "cat foo" is not processed
7 > > through readline.
8 >
9 > I don't think that readline has anything to do with this.
10
11 I think (wrongly?) that readline deals with redrawing when typing a
12 command in the shell.
15 > > (But then, how can rxvt behave differently?)
16 >
17 > I don't know about rxvt per say.
18 >
19 > But I thought there was a common library (libterm?) used by a number of
20 > terminal emulators that actually saved the output to a temporary file.
21 > That way they could re-display the output if (when) the window size changed.
22 >
23 > After emerging and testing rxvt, yes, it will rewrap the line to the new
24 > window width. It seems as if it saves the output as discreet lines and
25 > re-wraps them individually based on the terminal width. So, the output
26 > of an ls -l in a 132 character window, causes each line to be re-wrapped
27 > (as below) when reducing the window width.
30 There is a dev-libs/libtermkey, which I don't have installed. However,
31 my urxvt behaves as you describe, more or less:
32 - open urxvt
33 - cat some file with long enough lines
34 - lines wrap
35 - shrink window (horizontally)
36 - contents are NOT redrawn (just like xterm)
37 - restore window size
38 - cat same file, etc
39 - contents are now redrawn properly!
40
41 It appears urxvt does the job by itself (minus what seems to be a bug)
42
43 Jorge
44 -