From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: line wrap over in xterm/konsole
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 16:56:04
1 On 6/22/19 1:52 AM, Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > I think (wrongly?) that readline deals with redrawing when typing a
3 > command in the shell.
4
5 I believe that readline comes into play with the shell which is
6 controlling the command line. Any past output, even old command lines,
7 are historical data that the shell is not concerned with.
8
9 Think about it this way, on an old school TTY with keyboard and printer,
10 the shell would only be responsible for the current line. Anything
11 prior to that is analogues to what has been printed and no longer the
12 shell's concern. Conversely, the terminal emulator; XTerm / urxvt / et
13 al., worries about (re)displaying what has been previously printed.
14
15 Readline, via the shell, is only involved with the current command prompt.