From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No news on kernel upgrade?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 14:47:06
1 On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 11:01:04 +0100, n952162 wrote:
2
3 > Ah, maybe I have a theory what's going on ... maybe there's no news that
4 > it's time to upgrade the kernel, because it's not meant that the kernel
5 > necessarily needs to be upgraded ... except that it seems that the
6 > virtualbox-modules package might have a (unfortunate) dependency on
7 > that...
8
9 gentoo-sources is not a kernel, it only installs the kernel sources. It
10 is up to you to configure, compile and install the kernel from the
11 sources. This is different from how Gentoo handles other packages. You
12 may have three sets of sources installed, but only one kernel.
16 Neil Bothwick
17
18 We all know what comes after 'X', said Tom, wisely.