From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge error
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 20:08:11
1 On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:46:04 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > > Then don't reboot. Mount another drive somewhere temporary, copy the
4 > > contents of /var to it, then unmount /var and mount the new drive
5 > > on /var. Reformat the original filesystem and reverse the process.
6 >
7 > Earlier I posted the partitions:
8 > /dev/hda3 18G 2.1G 16G 12% /
9 > udev 125M 2.6M 123M 3% /dev
10 > shm 125M 0 125M 0% /dev/shm
11 > /dev/hda1 393M 46M 347M 12% /boot
12 >
13 > since /var is part of / (on the same partition) will this still work?
14
15 No, another reason to keep /var, and as much else as possible, away
16 from /.
17
18 > > Use a suitable filesystem, or the flash memory will die very quickly,
19 > > especially if you put /var on it.
20
21 > What would be the best file system to use on said CF HD to extend the
22 > life? I usually use the reiserfs on boot and root (simple partioning
23 > scheme). But, I'm open to suggestions here.
24
25 JFFS2, or budget on replacing the cards every couple of months.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 First Law of Laboratory Work:
32 Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.