From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best way to clean up the world file?
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 09:11:48
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday, 6 June 2019 09:56:24 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 06 Jun 2019 09:36:03 +0100, Mick wrote:
4 >>> I think, but may be wrong, regenworld will pick up anything and
5 >>> everything in emerge.log and add it to your world file. Definitely
6 >>> create a back up of / var/lib/portage/world if you do not have one
7 >>> already, because you can diff it later on to see how much weight it has
8 >>> put on.
9 >> I think it only adds packages that are not a dependency of something
10 >> else, which may result in a world file that is too lean and
11 >> over-enthusiastic depcleaning later on.
12 >>
13 >> Another method, a time consuming one, is to remove the world file and run
14 >> emerge -p --depclean. Then emerge -n anything in the output that you use
15 >> directly. Rinse and repeat. Eventually the depclean output will only
16 >> contain unneeded packages, at which point you can run it in anger.
17 > I haven't used it for a long time, so its behaviour may have changed/improved.
18 > The last time I used it I got a *very* long list of "package XXX was added to
19 > your world file" kind of message and stopped using it ever since. I may have
20 > run it the wrong way - not sure - but thought of warning Grant just in case.
21 > With a back up in hand, which I foolishly did not have handy as I was rushing
22 > at the time, it is easy to revert any unwelcome changes.
23 >
24 > As Dale mentioned my original problem (a fat/polluted world file) would have
25 > been easily resolved if I used 'emerge -1' each time I manually tried to sort
26 > out some portage output. I think I've learned this lesson well. ;-)
30 And if you are a old fart who has bad memory like me, put it in the
31 make.conf as a default.  That way it takes no effort to keep a clean
32 world file but does take effort to add something to the world file.  I
33 have to rebuild a individual package a lot more than I need to install a
34 new package.  I learned long ago, don't trust my memory to do things by
35 default.  Heck, I have to think about it to remember to add the -N to
36 regular updates still.  I been doing that for years.  If it wouldn't
37 screw up other things, I'd set it as a default but that causes another
38 set of issues.  Go ahead, tell me to do updates in script.  ROFL
39
40 Dale
41