From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best way to clean up the world file?
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 09:00:44
1 On Thursday, 6 June 2019 09:56:24 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 06 Jun 2019 09:36:03 +0100, Mick wrote:
3 > > I think, but may be wrong, regenworld will pick up anything and
4 > > everything in emerge.log and add it to your world file. Definitely
5 > > create a back up of / var/lib/portage/world if you do not have one
6 > > already, because you can diff it later on to see how much weight it has
7 > > put on.
8 >
9 > I think it only adds packages that are not a dependency of something
10 > else, which may result in a world file that is too lean and
11 > over-enthusiastic depcleaning later on.
12 >
13 > Another method, a time consuming one, is to remove the world file and run
14 > emerge -p --depclean. Then emerge -n anything in the output that you use
15 > directly. Rinse and repeat. Eventually the depclean output will only
16 > contain unneeded packages, at which point you can run it in anger.
17
18 I haven't used it for a long time, so its behaviour may have changed/improved.
19 The last time I used it I got a *very* long list of "package XXX was added to
20 your world file" kind of message and stopped using it ever since. I may have
21 run it the wrong way - not sure - but thought of warning Grant just in case.
22 With a back up in hand, which I foolishly did not have handy as I was rushing
23 at the time, it is easy to revert any unwelcome changes.
24
25 As Dale mentioned my original problem (a fat/polluted world file) would have
26 been easily resolved if I used 'emerge -1' each time I manually tried to sort
27 out some portage output. I think I've learned this lesson well. ;-)
30 Regards,
31 Mick