From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best way to clean up the world file?
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 08:56:44
1 On Thu, 06 Jun 2019 09:36:03 +0100, Mick wrote:
2
3 > I think, but may be wrong, regenworld will pick up anything and
4 > everything in emerge.log and add it to your world file. Definitely
5 > create a back up of / var/lib/portage/world if you do not have one
6 > already, because you can diff it later on to see how much weight it has
7 > put on.
8
9 I think it only adds packages that are not a dependency of something
10 else, which may result in a world file that is too lean and
11 over-enthusiastic depcleaning later on.
12
13 Another method, a time consuming one, is to remove the world file and run
14 emerge -p --depclean. Then emerge -n anything in the output that you use
15 directly. Rinse and repeat. Eventually the depclean output will only
16 contain unneeded packages, at which point you can run it in anger.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 People who eat natural foods die from natural causes.