From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best way to clean up the world file?
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 08:36:18
1 On Thursday, 6 June 2019 05:56:53 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Grant Taylor wrote:
3 > > On 6/5/19 9:18 PM, Dale wrote:
4 > >> I would start by removing anything that has libs in it. Generally,
5 > >> those should be pulled in as deps. After that, I'd go through the
6 > >> list and remove anything that you don't directly use.
7 > >
8 > > ACK
9 > >
10 > > Can I just edit /var/lib/portage/world? Or do I need to do something
11 > > else?
12
13 Yes, manually edit this file, but FIRST MAKE A BACK UP. :-)
16 > It's a plain text file and I've edited it in the past with no problems.
17 > I've done that cleanup before and it can take some time to accomplish
18 > depending on how bad it is. I went through this when I first started
19 > using Gentoo and didn't know any better. I'd do small chunks and keep a
20 > versioned back up file just in case.
21 >
22 > I've also used the script once. It does fairly well. It may miss a
23 > couple here and there and may have a few false positives as well. Still
24 > it can do some heavy lifting for you. I'd copy the world file to a safe
25 > place and try the script. I'd try it once with the old world file in
26 > place and once without a world file at all. Then see which one works
27 > best. If that fails, do it manually.
28 >
29 > Good luck. I hope one or the other works.
30 >
31 > Dale
32 >
34
35 I think, but may be wrong, regenworld will pick up anything and everything in
36 emerge.log and add it to your world file. Definitely create a back up of /
37 var/lib/portage/world if you do not have one already, because you can diff it
38 later on to see how much weight it has put on.
41 Regards,
42 Mick