From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best way to clean up the world file?
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 04:57:06
1 Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 6/5/19 9:18 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> I would start by removing anything that has libs in it.  Generally,
4 >> those should be pulled in as deps.  After that, I'd go through the
5 >> list and remove anything that you don't directly use.
6 >
7 > ACK
8 >
9 > Can I just edit /var/lib/portage/world?  Or do I need to do something
10 > else?
11
12 It's a plain text file and I've edited it in the past with no problems.
13 I've done that cleanup before and it can take some time to accomplish
14 depending on how bad it is.  I went through this when I first started
15 using Gentoo and didn't know any better.  I'd do small chunks and keep a
16 versioned back up file just in case.
17
18 I've also used the script once.  It does fairly well.  It may miss a
19 couple here and there and may have a few false positives as well.  Still
20 it can do some heavy lifting for you.  I'd copy the world file to a safe
21 place and try the script.  I'd try it once with the old world file in
22 place and once without a world file at all.  Then see which one works
23 best.  If that fails, do it manually.
24
25 Good luck.  I hope one or the other works.
26
27 Dale
28