From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best way to clean up the world file?
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 15:57:31
1 On 6/5/19 10:56 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > It's a plain text file and I've edited it in the past with no problems.
3
4 ACK
5
6 I /thought/ that was the case. But I wanted to double check that there
7 wasn't something else filed away that needed to match before I edited
8 the file.
9
10 > I've done that cleanup before and it can take some time to accomplish
11 > depending on how bad it is. I went through this when I first started
12 > using Gentoo and didn't know any better. I'd do small chunks and keep
13 > a versioned back up file just in case.
14
15 *nod*
16
17 > I've also used the script once. It does fairly well. It may miss
18 > a couple here and there and may have a few false positives as well.
19
20 It seems as if the regenworld script adds things that it finds from
21 /var/log/emerge.log that aren't themselves dependencies of something
22 else. Thus it the world file is cleaner than if all installed packages
23 were in the world file.
24
25 However, there are still some things that aren't dependencies of other
26 things that are listed that are no longer needed.
27
28 The world file is 279 lines long. I'm just going to go through the file
29 by hand and identify every package listed and make a judgment call if I
30 know if it needs to be on the system or not. If it does, then I'll
31 leave it. If it doesn't then I'll remove it from the world file and let
32 emerge decide if it needs to stay or not. There's a massive --depclean
33 in this systems future.
34
35 > Still it can do some heavy lifting for you. I'd copy the world file
36 > to a safe place and try the script. I'd try it once with the old world
37 > file in place and once without a world file at all. Then see which one
38 > works best. If that fails, do it manually.
39
40 ACK
41
42 > Good luck. I hope one or the other works.
43
44 Thank you.
49 Grant. . . .
50 unix || die