From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bug in run-crons?
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 21:38:21
1 Am Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 04:33:32PM -0500 schrieb Michael Orlitzky:
2 > On Mon, 2021-12-13 at 22:19 +0100, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 > >
4 > > For the record: The checks in run-crons that I referred to earlier are
5 > > actually more for those cases in which the machine was powered off for a
6 > > while in order to restore cron completeness as early as possible after boot.
9 > The run-crons quackery has been causing problems since 2004:
10 >
11 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/69777
12 >
13 > One-liners with run-parts (NOT run-crons) are a lot more predictable.
14
15 Well I *could* disable run-crons altogether and add entries to fcron’s own
16 crontab which would run those scripts in /etc/cron.{hourly,daily,...}
17 instead.
18
19 However, I like predictable times at which those jobs will run. Especially
20 if one of them is a zfs scrub; the NAS is powered down for weeks, sometimes
21 months. And when I power it up, it’s for a reason. And that reason usually
22 is not a scrub, which—at the current zfs fill level—takes 10½ hours.
25 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
26 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
27
28 A preposition is something you should never end a sentence with.