From: masterprometheus <masterprometheus666@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 22:57:34
1 Grant wrote:
2
3 > My motherboard is getting flaky and it's time for a new one. I have
4 > an AMD 6000+ CPU, 4GB DDR2/800 RAM, 2TB SATA2 HD, Blu-Ray burner, PCI
5 > wireless card, 400W power supply, and ATX case. I could replace any
6 > of these components if it's worthwhile for some new feature, but I may
7 > as well keep them if it's not.
8
9 You'll probably keep the HDD, Blu-Ray drive and the wireless card for the
10 new system. It's better to replace your PSU. For example :
11
12 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033
13 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371046
14 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182202
15 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026
16 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207012
17
18 They'll all do the job, different brands, models and prices.
19
20 If you're not going to sell the old CPU and memory modules you can buy a
21 mobo and keep it as a backup PC :
22 http://cgi.ebay.com/Asus-M2N68-AM-PLUS-Socket-AM2-GeForce7025-DDR2-A-V-
23 Lan-/310329745884?pt=Motherboards&hash=item48411821dc
24
25 You'll need a new chassis if you decide to keep these old parts.
26
27 > The most important thing is reliability and Linux compatibility but I
28 > also need HDMI and I figure USB 3.0 is a good idea. The system is for
29 > playing music and movies, no gaming whatsoever. If you're familiar
30 > with the current hardware scene, where would you go from here as far
31 > as a motherboard and other components? Any features a Gentoo'er
32 > should look for?
33
34 Plenty to choose. HDMI is nearly in every motherboard with onboard video.
35 There are many ways to go, I picked the AM3+ way and with some excessive
36 spending for the motherboard :
37 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514
38
39 Not economical but I like the look and the quality of this one. For the
40 CPU :
41 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103903
42
43 A cheap option, but should be enough and instead of paying big bucks for
44 6-cores etc, wait for the bulldozer. For memory :
45 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231308
46
47 8 GB should be good for a long time. With this board you'll need a
48 discrete video card. This one should do the job :
49 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161374
50
51 Fanless, so some ventilation is needed. I went full AMD. Good luck.