From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Console with color graphics capabilities?
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:13:48
1 On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 15:45 +0100, Matthias Kramm wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > now this is a bit off topic, but I'm looking for an X11
5 > console which can display images intermingled in the normal
6 > text flow.
7 >
8 > The following mockup gives a rough idea of what I'm looking for:
9 > http://www.quiss.org/files/gfxterminal.png
10 > .
11 >
12 > That is, I'm looking for a terminal emulator where I can insert special
13 > color graphic escape sequences into the serial stream, which are then
14 > displayed by the x11 console as graphics at the current text
15 > position.
16 >
17 > I'd be grateful for any hints about whether something like this already
18 > exists somewhere, or ideas on how to implement it (maybe using some
19 > console with plugin capabilities, or something like this).
20
21 Ok so a long time ago there were these things called (text) terminals
22 that were inherently text-based. Then along came these whiz-bang
23 things called X terminals which were like the other terminals but could
24 display graphics. They did make some GUI software/libraries for these X
25 things, but to keep compatibility with the old text-based stuff they
26 created software called "terminal emulators".
27
28 Hope this helps.
29
30 -a