From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] youtube-dl has been very slow
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 19:02:17
1 On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 11:42:28AM -0700, Skippy wrote:
2 > On 11/15/21 09:14, tastytea wrote:
3 >
4 > snip
5 >
6 > >>
7 > >> When in gPodder i enable use of Youtube-dl I get the message
8 > >>
9 > >> Extension cannot be activated.
10 > >> Python module not found: youtube_dl
11 > >
12 > > That looks like it does not use the program, but the python module
13 > > directly. You could try if symlinking
14 > > /usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/yt_dlp to
15 > > /usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/youtube_dl helps. Replace python3.9
16 > > with your version of course.
17 > > If that works, please file a bug on bugs.gentoo.org.
18 > >
19 > >> Anyone know how to make gPodder use yt-dlp?
20 > >>
21 > >> Do I simply need a link that sends youtube_dl to yt-dlp?
22 > >
23 > > yt-dlp already installs a wrapper script in /usr/bin/youtube-dl.
24 > >
25 > > Kind regards, tastytea
28 > I created the symlink as you instructed and it appears to be working.
29 > When I enable use of youtube-dl in gPodder I get no error messages. I
30 > just added a youtube feed and am downloading some videos.
31 >
32 > Thanks for the assistance.
35 Hm, slightly surprised it works. I've had a poorer experience with
36 symlinking the python module (not fully compatible). I considered
37 having the ebuild do it but ultimately skipped that.
38
39 However, if you say it works I think I'll have a 2nd look a bit later.
40 It's fairly harmless to add either way.
41
42 (I picked up maintaining yt-dlp in ::gentoo recently)
43
44 > In regards to filing a bug - I'm unclear exactly what the bug is. Is
45 > the bug the fact that gPodder will not use yt-dlp in place of youtube-dl
46 > without your work-around?
49 gpodder's upstream already has a bug report to use yt-dlp
50
51 Mentioned bugs.gentoo.org, so imagine the idea was that gentoo's ebuild
52 could add the symlink. I got the message anyhow so can skip the bug.
55 ionen