From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub and what happens exactly when booting.
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 02:10:32
1 Dale wrote:
2 > << SNIP >>
3 > What I am reading so far:
4 >
5 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
6 >
7 > I did a google search and found some others boot this is more Gentoo
8 > oriented. So, anything wrong with this as a guide? Pointers to
9 > others if they are better would be great.
10 >
11 > Here starts a learning process. It could get bumpy. lol
12 >
13 > Dale
14 >
15 > :-) :-)
18 Oops, typo up there. Should read "I did a google search and found some
19 others *but* this is more Gentoo oriented." Hey, I got the first and
20 last right. lol
21
22 While I am at this. I just noticed something else. I think this
23 changed after the openrc upgrade.
24
25 root@fireball / # mount
26 rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
27 /dev/root on / type reiserfs (rw,relatime)
28 proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
29 rc-svcdir on /lib64/rc/init.d type tmpfs
30 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=1024k,mode=755)
31 sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
32 debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
33 udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755)
34 fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
35 devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
36 shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
37 /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
38 /dev/sda8 on /var type ext3 (rw,commit=0)
39 /dev/sda6 on /usr/portage type ext3 (rw,commit=0)
40 /dev/sda7 on /home type reiserfs (rw)
41 /dev/sdc1 on /data type ext4 (rw,commit=0)
42 usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,devmode=0664,devgid=85)
43 binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
44 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
45 tmpfs on /var/tmp/portage type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
46 root@fireball / #
47
48 Now usually when I boot into a dual OS, I go to a console and type in
49 mount and make certain of what drive / is mounted too. Example for
50 this, if mounted to sda* then it is my main OS and if mounted to sdb*
51 then it is my test install. How does one decipher that up there? Heck,
52 root could be mounted on anything right now. I'm not going to remove
53 any partitions right now. I could be running off sdb and not even know
54 it. o_O
55
56 Dale
57