From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: [gentoo-project] With regard to udev stabilization
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 02:59:38
1 On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 09:20:42PM -0600, Dale wrote
2 >
3 > Well, it appears we have someone willing to fork udev. Yeppie !! Me,
4 > I'm looking forward to seeing how this works and giving it a test run
5 > when it gets ready. Since it is a fork, shouldn't be to long, I hope.
6
7 Might even get me to come back to udev. I wonder which group will be
8 setting the specs as far as "the official udev" is concerned. The
9 Gentoo devs should seek support from other distros and Linus himself.
10 If we merely make a fork, and the systemd people still have the
11 "official version", we'll be doomed to slavishly follow them in "bug
12 compatability" mode. What happens if/when Lennart gets his way?
13 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-August/006066.html
14
15 > And what we will certainly not do is compromise the uniform integration
16 > into systemd for some cosmetic improvements for non-systemd systems.
17 >
18 > (Yes, udev on non-systemd systems is in our eyes a dead end, in case
19 > you haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day when we
20 > can drop that support entirely.)
21
22 And that's probably not the only thing that the systemd people could
23 do to jerk us around. A successful fork would need to be one that
24 hardware companies release drivers for, and that GNOME/KDE will support.
25
26 I still think that the fork team should look at where mdev doesn't
27 match udev, and write shims to add the missing functionality. The
28 busybox people obviously don't want to bloat their minimal version. But
29 it already does most of what is needed, so some shims to add missing
30 functionality there would be less effort than an entire udev fork.
31
32 > I wonder what they will name it tho.
33
34 Howsabout calling it "Woodstock"? We could even have our own cheer
35
36 Gimmee an EFF
37
38 EFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
39
40 Gimmee an OOO
41
42 OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
43
44 Gimmee an ARR
45
46 ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
47
48 Gimmee a KAY
49
50 KAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
51
52 What's that spell?
53
54 FORK!
55
56 What's that spell?
57
58 FORK!
59
60 What's that spell?
61
62 FORK!
63
64 Now all we need is a quarter of a million people screaming in unison.
67 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
68 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications