From: forgottenwizard <phrexianreaper@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] In search of a "good" windowmanager
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:05:08
1 On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 01:37:45PM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 8:40 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > for a long time I used IceWM as my windowmanager since I dont
7 > > want to mimicry other OSses (...) or want session management.
8 > > One thing, which is a must-have of windowmanagers I want to use
9 > > is the possibility to control the windowmanager nearly completly
10 > > with the keyboard (hotkeys configurable) which does *not*
11 > > imply "uncontrollable by mouse" ;)
12 > > Furthermore I should not be a hana-bi or anything else eye-candy
13 > > like (nothing against hana-bi as hana-bi!) -- most of the time
14 > > I will use the windowmanager instead of only looking at it -- which
15 > > does not imply: "black anmd white ugly ascii thingy".
16 > >
17 > > Since IceWM seems to be gone into hibernation phase I am looking for
18 > > a replacement which should
19 > > -- be widely configurable via ascii files
20 > > -- be as far as possible controllable by keyboard
21 > > -- be also useable with the mouse
22 > > -- no eye-candy
23 > > -- not ugly
24 > > -- NOT tiling
25 > > -- FAST!
26 > >
27 > > I would like to hear from others what experiences they made with
28 > > what windowmanagers.
29 > >
30 > > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
31 > > Best regards and have a nice weekend!
32 > > Meino Cramer
33 >
34 > try Openbox, tiny but modern
37 Another vote for Openbox. Good little wm. If you want a panel for it,
38 I'd suggest fbpanel.