From: John Nielsen <lists@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unable to set wireless regulatory domain
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 16:22:43
1 On May 6, 2011, at 4:14 PM, Mick wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 06 May 2011 18:04:31 John Nielsen wrote:
4 >> Doesn't look like this went through the first time; re-sending without
5 >> attachment.
6 >>
7 >> On May 5, 2011, at 6:52 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
8 >>> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 12:40 PM, John Nielsen <lists@××××××××.net> wrote:
9 >>>> I am trying to set up a 5GHz wireless access point on an Alix 3d2 board
10 >>>> with an AR9220 (ath9k "Merlin") PCI card. I have done so successfully
11 >>>> using Fedora 14 on identical hardware but I would greatly prefer to use
12 >>>> Gentoo so I can use a more recent kernel and customize things
13 >>>> appropriately for the platform.
14 >>>
15 >>> It seems like everything is pretty much the same, other than the
16 >>> kernel (and presumably the ath9k driver). But I would look at the udev
17 >>> rules for CRDA to be sure they match and are being applied the same on
18 >>> both systems. You shouldn't ever need to "iw reg set" on a system with
19 >>> CRDA, it should do it for you. So I wonder if you're setting it, and
20 >>> then CRDA is immediately setting it back to 00...
21 >>
22 >> The udev rule for CRDA is the same on both systems, and matches what is
23 >> shown on http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Regulatory/CRDA. The
24 >> Fedora box also has a magic rule to call /sbin/setregdomain when an 80211
25 >> interface is added, which is a shell script that infers the regdomain from
26 >> the currently set timezone. The punch line of the script is simply a call
27 >> to "iw reg set $COUNTRY"
28 >>
29 >> However, I'm not sure crda is being called appropriately on the Gentoo box.
30 > On the Fedora machine I see this in dmesg:
31 >>>> [ 17.248674] cfg80211: Calling CRDA for country: US
32 >>>> [ 18.848206] cfg80211: Regulatory domain changed to country: US
33 >>
34 >> and I don't ever see anything similar on the Gentoo machine, even when
35 >> running "iw reg set" by hand. Further, I don't see anything in the output
36 >> of "udevadm monitor --environment kernel".
37 >>
38 >> I just dropped the kernel from the Fedora machine on to the Gentoo box and
39 >> (somewhat surprisingly) it works just fine. The reg domain gets set no
40 >> problem, hostapd starts, life is good--except that now I feel like I've
41 >> sinned against nature and I'd like to get my own, smaller kernel back.
42 >>
43 >> While it's possible the new kernel version is broken I rather suspect that
44 >> I have configured it badly. I set out to configure a minimal kernel with
45 >> just the features and drivers I want on this hardware and no need for
46 >> modules or an initramfs. Does cfg80211 need to be a module to work
47 >> properly? I wouldn't think so.
48 >>
49 >> I'll do some more experimenting but in the mean time here's my kernel
50 >> config in case anyone has ideas on what could be wrong. Thanks!
51 >>
52 >> Config file here: http://pastebin.com/S68ye6Pz
53 >
54 > I suggest that you run a diff --suppress-common-lines -y between the Fedora
55 > and your own kernel to find out what's different between the two as far as
56 > your driver is concerned.
57
58 The outright diff was far too verbose to be useful, but looking at "lsmod" output when running the Fedora kernel was instructive. I recognized everything as being in by Gentoo kernel except for "rfkill", which was listed as a dependency of cfg80211. Long story short, I got it working like I want by:
59
60 1) Including RFKILL in my kernel config and
61 2) Building cfg80211, mac80211, rfkill, and all parts of the ath9k driver as modules
62
63 Just adding RFKILL to a static (module-less) kernel didn't fix it, and just building cfg80211 and friends as modules without RFKILL also didn't fix it; I had to do both.
64
65 Thanks all for your responses so far. I'll be happy to ditch Fedora. :)
66
67 For future reference, does anyone know why either of the above would be required? If I see the same behavior in the latest git kernel should I file a bug? If so, where (since I doubt this is a Gentoo issue)?
68
69 JN