From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Moving root filesystem to a new partition
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 11:09:22
1 On Wednesday 25 November 2009 20:56:23 walt wrote:
2
3 > Okay, I just can't resist asking this nosy question: Why do you need to
4 > restore from backup "often"?
5
6 I'm going through a transient at the moment, having more-or-less given up on
7 trying to keep KDE-3 and not being ready for KDE-4 (or vice-versa). I've
8 been trying a few other distros, and even Gnome (shows what a parlous state
9 Gentoo's in; I couldn't imagine ever considering Gnome six months ago).
10
11 So I've had cause several times to change my disk layout, and although it
12 consumes time the easy way is to make a backup and then restore to the new
13 layout.
14
15 This is a toy box, after all. If I can't fiddle with it when I feel like it,
16 what's the point of having it? :-)
17
18 On the other hand, I suspect a hardware problem of causing k3b:4 to be
19 unable to find the CD drives, the BIOS to report 2992MB RAM instead of 4096
20 and several BIOS settings to have been changed without my knowledge. That's
21 driving me towards considering replacing the whole system. It's six years
22 old now so it doesn't owe me anything. In the end I may revert to something
23 like my original Gentoo layout and stay with it.
26 Rgds
27 Peter