From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: HTML5 player (YouTube) is a pain!...Alternatives?
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 20:28:53
1 Am Wed, 30 Nov 2016 07:55:11 +0100
2 schrieb Meino.Cramer@×××.de:
3
4 > I checked the current bandwidth (07:48 am local time) with this
5 > http://speedcheck.vodafone.de/
6 >
7 > and got:
8 > 2,1 Mbps download
9 > 0,1 Mbps upload
10 > 58 ms latency (ping test)
11
12 I got 184.19 Mbps down / 11.94 Mbps up while streaming YT, ping is 34
13 ms, according to the same test. Steam games download at 24 MByte/s. This
14 line is very capable but even with the lowest contract from Vodafone,
15 your line speed is way too low...
16
17 > There is no other kind of task which consumes bandwidth
18 > (while checking the above or while streaming videos)
19 >
20 > Another (real odd) possibillitu would be: Someone has
21 > hijacked my DSL modem (its no router) - its an older
22 > Fritz! box.
23
24 I wouldn't deny this. I've seen v5 firmware Fritzboxes lately which
25 seem to have been hijacked on customer sites. The effect was that a
26 firmware upgrade fails (red led only after flashing the upgrade) and
27 before the upgrade, connections to mail servers through wifi behaved
28 different than connections to the same servers did through copper
29 connection...
30
31 Plus, older boxes are very low on CPU and won't take much more than
32 30-80 Mbps probably. This can totally break your streaming experience
33 even if your throughput could do better.
34
35 If you're on DSL (not cable as I am), try to swap the box for another
36 one from a friend and see if it works better. If yes, either get a new
37 box (which supports current firmwares), or backup your config, use the
38 recovery tool to reset the firmware to pristine state, and restore the
39 config. Cable boxes are actually not that easy to swap due to
40 certificate locking.
43 Regards,
44 Kai
45