From: Ernst Herzberg <list-gentoo-user@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tar over ssh
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:29:03
1 On Tuesday 24 January 2006 21:40, Jeff wrote:
2 > DUH ME! Open mouth, insert face...
3 >
4 > Ok, what I *meant* to say from post #1, is, the filesystem I'm
5 > tarballing is quite large - 25g. The tar command should be able to
6 > digest this, yes? Should I be worried?
7
8 Last week i back'ed up a machine with 4 80G disks as RAID5 with the method
9 mentioned before. tar-size on the desination machine was about 120GB
10 compressed (yes, one File:). Both filesystems are reiserfs.
11
12 Restore again wih the same method, only the other way around, to 4
13 250GB-disks. No problems.
14
15 Tip: check your destination tar file with tar -tzf ... or tar -tjf ... before
16 you delete the source. Compression is a good check that no data has been
17 changed during transfer of the data.
18
19 <earny/>
20 --