From: Jeff <jmg_071769@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tar over ssh
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:45:54
1 DUH ME! Open mouth, insert face...
2
3 Ok, what I *meant* to say from post #1, is, the filesystem I'm
4 tarballing is quite large - 25g. The tar command should be able to
5 digest this, yes? Should I be worried?
6
7 Thanks again all.
8
9 Jeff wrote:
10 > This example that Francesco illustrates seems to work pretty well. I
11 > guess my main concern was with tar - would it be able to handle a
12 > filesystem this large? Myself, I haven't seen or heard any scary stories
13 > thus far. Anyone shed light on tar limitations?
14 >
15 > Thanks for all the colorful replies.
16 >
17 > :-)
18 >
19 > -Jeff
20 >
21 > Francesco Riosa wrote:
22 >
23 >>Jeff wrote:
26 >>>Hey guys.
27 >>>
28 >>>I've got this big fat backup server with no space left on the hard drive
29 >>>to store a tar file. I'd like to pipe a tar through ssh, but not sure
30 >>>what the command would be. Something to the effect of:
31 >>>
32 >>># cat /var/backup | ssh backup.homelan.com 'tar data.info.gz'
33 >>>
34 >>>So that, the data is actually being sent over ssh, and then archived on
35 >>>the destination machine.
36 >>>
37 >>
38 >>tar -zcf - /var/backup | ssh backup.homelan.com "( cat > data.info.gz )"
39 >>
40 >>something similar, probably is possible to avoid the use of cat bat
41 >>don't came in mind at the moment
46 Officer:
47 We've analyzed their attack, sir, and there is a danger.
48 Should I have your ship standing by?
49 Governor Tarkin:
50 Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you
51 overestimate their chances.
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list