From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Delays while building Libre Office.
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 01:35:05
1 On 05/06/2013 04:37 PM, Michael Hampicke wrote:
2 > Am 07.05.2013 01:22, schrieb walt:
3 >> On 05/05/2013 01:38 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> There doesn't appear to be any action in emerge which unpacks the build
6 >>> files (or even the entire source) of a package for perusal. This is a
7 >>> shame.
8 >>
9 >> You should become familiar with the 'ebuild' command, which I use very
10 >> often when trying to debug a package, e.g.
11 >>
12 >> #ebuild /usr/portage/app-office/libreoffice/libreoffice-3.6.6.2.ebuild unpack
13 >>
14 >> To completely build and install a package you need to follow that command
15 >> with the 'configure', 'compile', 'install', and 'qmerge' steps (man ebuild).
18 > If you are lazy like me,
19
20 No way! I'm lazier than you :p
21
22 > and don't want to execute all steps manually,
23 > just use ebuild <package.ebuild> merge :)
24
25 The reason it's nice to know the individual steps is that there can be bugs
26 at any of those steps along the way (usually during the configure or compile
27 phases) and if the bug is simple enough you can edit the broken files and
28 then restart the merge. Often someone will add a patch to an existing bug
29 report, which you can apply to a failed emerge and then restart the compile
30 phase without starting from scratch.
31
32 I'm guessing you know all of this already, but Alan and others may not know.
33 The more debuggers, the merrier :)