From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE flags information resource
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 15:04:19
1 On Tuesday 02 January 2007 15:35, Alan E. Davis wrote:
2 > Thank you for the insight, Alan. I am just getting to the point of
3 > understanding this. As a non -developer/programmer I have been at a
4 > loss to understand these basic points about USE flags. Over time,
5 > they begin to make sense. Your pointer about the ebuilds is
6 > extremely valuable.
7
8 You're welcome
9
10 > Maybe it's just me, in my cluelessness? Some flags have not been
11 > obvious to me; others have been ambiguous, at least to me. Maybe
12 > digging for all this is what makes Gentoo such an excellent
13 > experience. On the other hand, a little more clarity would not hurt,
14 > IMHO. Beggars can't be choicy, but is it really not possible to
15 > provide a slightly clearer explanation of what a USE flag does? I'd
16 > better shut up.
17
18 They are just another one of those things that are the way they are
19 because someone made them that way, and the existing descriptions of
20 USE flags are meant to be meaningful in one sentence. Returning to the
21 kdebase example:
22
23 [snip]
24
25 > > DEPEND="arts? ( ~kde-base/arts-${PV} )
26 > >
27 > > >=media-libs/freetype-2
28 > >
29 > > media-libs/fontconfig
30 > > pam? ( kde-base/kdebase-pam )
31 > >
32 > > >=dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2
33 > >
34 > > ldap? ( >=net-nds/openldap-2 )
35 > > cups? ( net-print/cups )
36
37 There are 3 flags there: pam, ldap and cups and the only thing anyone
38 can tell you about them is that they respectively enable pam, ldap and
39 cups support inside kdebase. As to what that means, you will have to
40 look at the kdebase documentation to find out what that package does
41 with pam.
42
43 xscreensavers also has a pam USE flag, and the way it uses pam might be
44 essentially the same as what kdebase does with it. Or it might not. It
45 all depends on how xscreensavers was written, and this is outside
46 gentoo's control.
47
48 I understand you would like more clarity and I get the kind of list you
49 would like to have. I want you to grasp though that this is not really
50 possible in any thorough way. A detailed explanation of what the USE
51 flags means inside each ebuild that uses it is something you might
52 suggest, but I'll bet money that you will be shot down in flames for
53 suggesting it. It will be a lot of extra work on top of a lot of
54 existing work, for precious little benefit as the info is usually
55 documented elsewhere in the package itself. And we are supposed to all
56 know how to RTFM right?
57
58 Welcome to the wonderful world of computing where nothing is as it first
59 seems :-)
63 alan
66 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list