From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: sata disk assignment mismatch...
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 17:52:11
1 On 01/16/2010 05:56 AM, Jarry wrote:
2 > Hi, I have strange problem with sata-disks names/numbering:
3 >
4 > Until now, I had 2 sata-disk and one sata-dvdrw, attached
5 > to positions marked as "sata1", "sata2" and "sata3"
6 > in motherboard-manual, and detected as follows:
7 >
8 > Mobo: drive: system:
9 > sata1 160GB /dev/sda
10 > sata2 160GB /dev/sdb
11 > sata3 dvdrw /dev/sdc
12 > sata4 (none)
13 >
14 > Now I installed one more sata-disk, attached to "sata4"
15 > position on mobo. But this changed the way how other
16 > disks are detected:
17 >
18 > Mobo: drive: system:
19 > sata1 160GB /dev/sdb
20 > sata2 160GB /dev/sdc
21 > sata3 dvdrw (not_detected)
22 > sata4 500GB /dev/sda
23 >
24 > I tried to switch cables, attached that new 500gb disk
25 > into sata1/sata2/sata3/sata4 connectors, but it is still
26 > the same! This last disk is always detected by system
27 > as /dev/sda, no matter in which connector I attach
28 > its cable. And my system does not want to boot because
29 > devices in /etc/fstab does not correspond now with disk
30 > names (what was /dev/sda1 before, is now /dev/sdb1, etc.).
31 >
32 > Strange thing, in bios-screen devices are detected
33 > correctly, the last disk as "Fourth SATA drive"...
34 >
35 > How can I fix this mess? How can I force this last
36 > disk to be /dev/sdd?
37
38 I don't know if that is normal behavior or a bug, but you
39 may be able to work around it by using "LABEL" in fstab
40 instead of using sda, sdb, etc.
41
42 I have
43 LABEL=amd64 / ext3 noatime,nodiratime 0 1
44
45 instead of
46 /dev/sdb5 / ext3 noatime,nodiratime 0 1
47
48 where I set the disk label with "e2label /dev/sdb5 amd64"
49 and similar steps for the other disks.