From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sata disk assignment mismatch...
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 20:03:40
1 On 16. 1. 2010 18:23, walt wrote:
2 > On 01/16/2010 05:56 AM, Jarry wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Until now, I had 2 sata-disk and one sata-dvdrw, attached
5 >> to positions marked as "sata1", "sata2" and "sata3"
6 >> in motherboard-manual, and detected as follows:
7 >>
8 >> Mobo: drive: system:
9 >> sata1 160GB /dev/sda
10 >> sata2 160GB /dev/sdb
11 >> sata3 dvdrw /dev/sdc
12 >> sata4 (none)
13 >>
14 >> Now I installed one more sata-disk, attached to "sata4"
15 >> position on mobo. But this changed the way how other
16 >> disks are detected:
17 >>
18 >> Mobo: drive: system:
19 >> sata1 160GB /dev/sdb
20 >> sata2 160GB /dev/sdc
21 >> sata3 dvdrw (not_detected)
22 >> sata4 500GB /dev/sda
23 ...
24 > I don't know if that is normal behavior or a bug,
25
26 In between I got a reply from other mailing list saying
27 "it is not a bug, it is a feature!". And the reason for
28 this feature is udev - it creates dev-files dynamically
29 and sata port-numbers do not play any role for order
30 in which hard-drives are detected and dev-file created.
31 Maybe some udev-expert here could explain in which
32 order udev writes device-files for hard-disks (maybe
33 serial number, or vendor name?)...
34
35 I got an advice to write udev-rule to secure always
36 the same device-name is used for my two system disk.
37 I'm trying to figure out how to do it, but it seems
38 to me pretty much complicated...
39
40 > but you
41 > may be able to work around it by using "LABEL" in fstab
42 > instead of using sda, sdb, etc.
43 >
44 > I have
45 > LABEL=amd64 / ext3 noatime,nodiratime 0 1
46 >
47 > instead of
48 > /dev/sdb5 / ext3 noatime,nodiratime 0 1
49 >
50 > where I set the disk label with "e2label /dev/sdb5 amd64"
51 > and similar steps for the other disks.
52
53 OK, I'll try it. But the thing is more complicated.
54 For example, I'm using smartd to monitor my drives.
55 And it works with dev-files too. So when I changed
56 /etc/fstab to reflect new dev-names, there is still
57 a few things I have to modify...
58
59 Well, if this is not bug, than it is annoyance.
60 I have just added a new hard-drive, and suddenly
61 compter can not boot-up, just because devfile-names
62 changed. Damned, I'm dreaming of old good devfs times...
63
64 Jarry
68 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
69 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.