From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 08:06:50
1 On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 09:41:58 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > > This isn't a rescue partition, it's just a GRUB menu entry and a copy
4 ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
5 > > f the ISO in /boot, so far less maintenance even than making sure a
6 > > USB stick stays put. Plus it is much faster to boot.
7 >
8 > It's a nice idea, but the boot-time of the rescue-partition doesn't
9 ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
10 > really matter to me. It's more important that it boots a recent version.
11 > On a desktop it would be useful, but as I have more then 1 machine,
12 > creating the USB stick is just as easy :)
13
14 I agree that creating a sysrescd USB stick from the ISO is easy with the
15 provided script, almost as easy as scping the file to a few machines.
16 About the only thing easier is losing the USB stick hen I need it, which
17 is probably the main reason I do it this way.
18
19 I believe it's also possible to do this with PXE, meanng you don't even
20 need multiple copies of the file... unless your PXE server needs rescuing.
21
22 I always have it on a USB stick too, but that's for fixing other people's
23 computers :)
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Idaho - It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there.