From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 07:42:24
1 On Sun, July 21, 2013 01:45, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 07:02:35 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
3 >
4 >> > Yes, and it's mounted ro to minimise the risk of such damage.
5 >
6 >> I used to do this (keeping a rescue partitio) ... but found it was
7 >> useful only some of the time. Nowadays I just leave a sysrescuecd USB
8 >> key on top of the case :) Same features, useful in more circumstances,
9 >> less maintenance overhead.
10 >
11 > This sin't a rescue partition, it's just a GRUB menu entry and a copy f
12 > the ISO in /boot, so far less maintenance even than making sure a USB
13 > stick stays put. Plus it is much faster to boot.
14
15 It's a nice idea, but the boot-time of the rescue-partition doesn't really
16 matter to me. It's more important that it boots a recent version.
17 On a desktop it would be useful, but as I have more then 1 machine,
18 creating the USB stick is just as easy :)
21 Joost