From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: A plea for calm
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:38:49
1 David Leverton ha scritto:
2 > On Tuesday 16 September 2008 23:18:42 b.n. wrote:
3 >> I am not going to do it because of the treatment I'd be reserved by people
4 >> like ciaranm, or you, if I only needed help or disagreed with your opinions.
5 >
6 > What on Earth makes you think that?
7
8 Your behaviour.
9 The IRC log posted on the r0bertz blog.
10
11 Just two examples.
12
13 > Volker is certainly not asking for help,
14 > and he is not merely "disagreeing", but preaching his gospel of lies at every
15 > conceivable opportunity. If you don't do that (which is surely wise in any
16 > case) you won't receive the corresponding response.
17
18 This is paranoid behaviour.
19 To think that there is a "hate campaign" about your little software is
20 utterly paranoid. You are not Linux, no Microsoft is doing a "get the
21 facts" campaign on you. Actually, I'm pretty sure >99.999% of world
22 population just doesn't care about your software. :)
23
24 That said, I don't agree with everything Volker says (frankly I saw no
25 problem at all with a paludis-only overlay, and I said that before, and
26 I don't think there is a "paludis conspiracy" just like I don't think
27 there is an "anti-paludis conspiracy"), and Volker's tone was not better
28 than yours.
29
30 But I'm sure that he talks this way because he's actually concerned
31 about your software and the behaviour of your community. And reading
32 stuff like the IRC logs of ciaranm (and you defending his behaviour) I
33 can't but agree.
34
35 None of you was constructive in the discussion. For example, a
36 sub-thread went this way: Volker said Paludis is bloated. You answered
37 "no it's not". He said "yes it is" and then it became a sensless
38 blah-blah "liar-liar". Why don't you just go at your desks, count lines
39 of code/features/memory consuption/executable size/whatever fits your
40 measures of "bloated" and decide numerically what's bloated or not?
41
42 Moreover, as I told you some time ago, the only way to shut up lies is
43 *facts*. In software, facts means code. You can take it as, think, a
44 contest. He says Paludis is bloated? Let's compare them, and, in the
45 meantime, let's aggressively reduce memory consumption! Let's modularize
46 it (if it's not already), so everyone can have his pet features without
47 complaining. If it's already modular, let's write the appropriate plugin
48 and tell him "see how easy it was?". Et cetera. When you will have huge,
49 undeniable facts on your side, you won't need to fear any "conspiracy".
50 And if someone still denies them, well, let's make those facts even
51 huger and more solid -that is, go and code again.
52
53 That way you not only will win your flamewars with more arguments, but
54 make the life of users better.
55
56 m.