From: cremes.devlist@×××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] need help with x86_64 on MacBook Pro
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 04:25:15
1 On Apr 19, 2007, at 6:52 PM, cremes.devlist@×××.com wrote:
4 > On Apr 19, 2007, at 7:14 AM, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
5 >
6 >> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 06:20:37AM -0500, cremes.devlist@×××.com
7 >> wrote:
8 >>> snip
9 >>> The MacBook installation instructions contained pointers to some
10 >>> internal
11 >>> [3] and external [4] sources which were helpful. These other
12 >>> pages mostly
13 >>> focus on doing a 32-bit install so I've been searching high and
14 >>> low for a
15 >>> kernel.config for a 64-bit build known to work on a MacBook Pro.
16 >>> I tried
17 >>> creating one myself but it doesn't boot. Grub (0.97 installed
18 >>> via "emerge
19 >>> grub-static" per the handbook) displays my customized 2.6.20 +
20 >>> mactel
21 >>> patched kernel but the boot attempt results in a black screen
22 >>> and no hard
23 >>> drive activity. I'm at a bit of a loss to troubleshoot this.
24 >> (snip)
25 >
26 >> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Apple_MacBook/
27 >> Configuration_Files#Kernel_.config
28 >>
29 >> Works perfectly for me, although I ditched 64 bit for 32 because of
30 >> ndiswrapper for wireless. The madwifi-ng people are working on
31 >> getting
32 >> the wireless working and have a beta trunk in the works. However,
33 >> that
34 >> (as far as I know) does not work with any type of encryption just
35 >> yet.
36 >
37 > So are you saying it is not necessary to have CONFIG_X86_64=y in
38 > the kernel configuration file to get a 64-bit system? I know I'm
39 > exposing my ignorance here but it seems odd that the kernel config
40 > you pointed me to on the wiki will produce a 64-bit kernel when all
41 > the config lines specify 32-bit.
42
43 While I still have that question, I was able to successfully boot and
44 install the kernel. According to "file /usr/bin/*" everything is a 64-
45 bit executable so I'll assume the kernel is too.
46
47 Thanks for your help.
48
49 cr