From: cremes.devlist@×××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] need help with x86_64 on MacBook Pro
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 23:55:01
1 On Apr 19, 2007, at 7:14 AM, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 06:20:37AM -0500, cremes.devlist@×××.com
4 > wrote:
5 >> snip
6 >> The MacBook installation instructions contained pointers to some
7 >> internal
8 >> [3] and external [4] sources which were helpful. These other
9 >> pages mostly
10 >> focus on doing a 32-bit install so I've been searching high and
11 >> low for a
12 >> kernel.config for a 64-bit build known to work on a MacBook Pro.
13 >> I tried
14 >> creating one myself but it doesn't boot. Grub (0.97 installed via
15 >> "emerge
16 >> grub-static" per the handbook) displays my customized 2.6.20 +
17 >> mactel
18 >> patched kernel but the boot attempt results in a black screen and
19 >> no hard
20 >> drive activity. I'm at a bit of a loss to troubleshoot this.
21 > (snip)
22
23 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Apple_MacBook/
24 > Configuration_Files#Kernel_.config
25 >
26 > Works perfectly for me, although I ditched 64 bit for 32 because of
27 > ndiswrapper for wireless. The madwifi-ng people are working on getting
28 > the wireless working and have a beta trunk in the works. However, that
29 > (as far as I know) does not work with any type of encryption just yet.
30
31 So are you saying it is not necessary to have CONFIG_X86_64=y in the
32 kernel configuration file to get a 64-bit system? I know I'm exposing
33 my ignorance here but it seems odd that the kernel config you pointed
34 me to on the wiki will produce a 64-bit kernel when all the config
35 lines specify 32-bit.
36
37 ??
38