From: Matthew Daubenspeck <matt@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] need help with x86_64 on MacBook Pro
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:23:37
1 On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 06:20:37AM -0500, cremes.devlist@×××.com wrote:
2 > Hi, new Gentoo user here (but not new to the wonderful world of unix).
3 >
4 > A few weeks ago I installed Gentoo into Parallels under OSX on my MacBook
5 > Pro (rev 2, Core2Duo) to start familiarizing myself with the system. I liked
6 > it well enough that I decided to get in a little deeper and experiment with
7 > the x86_64 release. My MBPro is capable of running it so I repartitioned my
8 > drive and was off to the races.
9 >
10 > I've been following the great instructions on the wiki posted here [1] using
11 > the minimal install CD with the 2006.1 profile. However, the instructions
12 > there primarily focus on the 32-bit release. I coupled those instructions
13 > with the Gentoo Handbook for x86_64 to cover the areas that the wiki
14 > (rightly) left out [2]. The goal was to install a pure 64-bit non-multilib
15 > system to use as a base for a Xen Dom0 (I switched to the non-multilib
16 > profile in my chroot).
17 >
18 > The MacBook installation instructions contained pointers to some internal
19 > [3] and external [4] sources which were helpful. These other pages mostly
20 > focus on doing a 32-bit install so I've been searching high and low for a
21 > kernel.config for a 64-bit build known to work on a MacBook Pro. I tried
22 > creating one myself but it doesn't boot. Grub (0.97 installed via "emerge
23 > grub-static" per the handbook) displays my customized 2.6.20 + mactel
24 > patched kernel but the boot attempt results in a black screen and no hard
25 > drive activity. I'm at a bit of a loss to troubleshoot this.
26 >
27 > Anyone have a working kernel.config for x86_64 that they can point me to?
28 > I'd be happy to update the wiki to include more specific instructions
29 > related to x86_64 once I get a working system.
30 >
31 > Thanks for your help.
32 >
33 > cr
34
35 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Apple_MacBook/Configuration_Files#Kernel_.config
36
37 Works perfectly for me, although I ditched 64 bit for 32 because of
38 ndiswrapper for wireless. The madwifi-ng people are working on getting
39 the wireless working and have a beta trunk in the works. However, that
40 (as far as I know) does not work with any type of encryption just yet.
43 Matthew Daubenspeck
44 http://oddprocess.org
45
46 Gentoo Linux x86_64 Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 165
47 08:11:58 up 75 days, 21:59, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list