From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT rant] udev + /usr
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:00:46
1 Am Sonntag 18 September 2011, 15:52:16 schrieb Michael Mol:
2 > On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 1:43 PM, pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
3 > > I think you need to take a closer look; it does support a lot of
4 > > "modern" parts of the "stack" (as you call it); it's just focused on the
5 > > things that matters (for an embedded system). It is the mindset that I'm
6 > > after; it seems even kernel developers are thinking "oh, we have so much
7 > > memory here so it doesn't matter if we use a few GB here" (yes, I'm
8 > > exaggerating). Intel and AMD can't increase the clocks anymore so
9 > > they've started to throw more hardware on the ever increasing demand for
10 > > computing power... there will be a time when the "bloat" will take it's
11 > > toll on more users.
12 >
13 > The kernel configuration process is actually very nice and very easy.
14 > You an remove any features you don't want or need. (I'm referring to,
15 > e.g. menuconfig. I haven't really used genkernel)
16 >
17 > The first time's the hardest. After you know what parts you need for a
18 > given box, it's easy.
19 >
20 > >> Many of us actually like the modern features of the kernel, glibc,
21 > >> udev, dbus, systemd, pulseaudio, glib, X.org, GStreamer, Gtk+ and
22 > >
23 > > There's a lot of people that like Windows 7 and MacOS X too, I hear.
24 > > What the ultimate goal (in my view) for systemd, pulseaudio etc. seems
25 > > to be is to mimic (poorly) the mentioned OS's.
26 >
27 > FWIW, PulseAudio predates Windows Vista, Windows 7, even MacOS X. I
28 > ran it on a 200MHz machine back when it was called Enlightenment Sound
29 > Daemon.
30
31 Pulseaudio was meant to be a drop in replacement for ESD but AFAIK that is
32 where the common grounds end. Pulseaudio was not ESD and ESD is not
33 Pulseaudio.
34
35 Plus ESD has/had a less than good reputation to say it politely.
38 #163933