From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI data corruption? [FIXED]
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 14:47:21
1 On Thursday, 26 September 2019 10:16:54 BST Adam Carter wrote:
2 > > > The Gentoo Handbook says to create a small unformatted partition at the
3 > > > beginning of the (primary?) disk, then to create a FAT-32 partition for
4 > > > /boot, then whatever other partitions are required.
5 > >
6 > > Another question answered: yes, it has to be the primary disk. I installed
7 > > a small test system on another disk. It has its own FAT-32 /boot
8 > > partition, in which I set up a similar directory structure to the main
9 > > system's. Efibootmgr still insisted on adding the UEFI entry to the main
10 > > set, in spite of my telling it to use the secondary disk. And the BIOS
11 > > couldn't see the image on the secondary disk.
12 >
13 > I found my BIOS didn't recognise the UEFI setup until it was
14 > specified/setup by efibootmgr, so that checks out. What was the efibootmgr
15 > command you were using for the second disk?
16
17 efibootmgr -c -p 3 -d /dev/sda -L "TestSys" -l '\EFI\BOOT\bootX64.efi'
18
19 > > The conclusion is that, at least on this motherboard, there is precisely
20 > > one set of UEFI boot images, and it lives on the primary disk of the
21 > > system. Well, I haven't yet worked out how much of it is on the disk and
22 > > how much in BIOS storage. The point remains, however, that I can't spread
23 > > boot images over several disks.
24 >
25 > That's pretty poor.
26
27 It isn't what I expected either.
28
29 > What does efibootmgr show?
30
31 # efibootmgr
33 Timeout: 1 seconds
34 BootOrder: 0000,0004,0005,0001,0002,0003,0006,0007,0008,0009,000A,000B
35 Boot0000* Gentoo Linux
36 Boot0001* UEFI:CD/DVD Drive
37 Boot0002* UEFI:Removable Device
38 Boot0003* UEFI:Network Device
39 Boot0004* CD/DVD Drive
40 Boot0005 Hard Drive
41 Boot0006* UEFI:CD/DVD Drive
42 Boot0007* UEFI:Removable Device
43 Boot0008* UEFI:Network Device
44 Boot0009* UEFI:CD/DVD Drive
45 Boot000A* UEFI:Removable Device
46 Boot000B* UEFI:Network Device
47
48 I'll delete all those duplicates. I don't know what's creating them. It's
49 happened a few times since this mess started, but I never saw it once before
50 then.
51
52 > I got the impression that I would be able to UEFI boot from multiple
53 > different devices, eg a USB drive with UEFI as well as the hard disk.
54
55 Oh yes, removable devices can be booted, but not secondary, internal hard
56 drives. Apparently. On this system. Today.
59 Regards,
60 Peter.