From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: what's going on with updates ?
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:14:22
1 On Monday 13 September 2010 21:00:42 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 09/13/2010 09:45 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > >> [...]
4 > >
5 > > I wouldn't expect people to run a Gentoo system with all packages on
6 > > unstable. I tend to only select specific packages as unstable when I
7 > > really need that version.
8 >
9 > Usually the best "stability" is reached by running either full stable or
10 > full testing (aka "unstable"). Mixing usually makes things worse. I
11 > used to run a mixed system, but at some point it was clear to me that
12 > this fscks things up quite often due to package versions whether ~arch
13 > packages breaking with arch ones.
14
15 This is true, but not all packages I want are in stable, this forces me to
16 unmask these.
17 I also don't always want to wait for packages to become stable.
18
19 What I currently have in "/etc/portage/package.keywords is:
20 =games-strategy/x2-1.4.05 ~amd64
21 =games-strategy/x3-2.5.01 ~amd64
22 =app-emulation/virtualbox-bin-3.2.8 ~amd64
23 =app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-3.2.8 ~amd64
24
25 These don't have a large set of additional requirements. If they did, I
26 wouldn't have upgraded to these. I also had "qt-creator" in there, but that
27 one has become stable since.
28
29 I'm still not clear how versions can be made to be marked "stable".
32 Joost