From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suspend to RAM caused crashes
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 15:32:44
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [11-08-21 12:32]:
2 > Here's a strange one:
3 >
4 > Suspending a Pentium4 32bit machine used to work a treat. For years. Then
5 > around 9 months ago or so, I can't recall exactly, it started causing crashes.
6 > What happens is that the monitor will go to sleep and the disk will stop
7 > immediately, but the machine continues to run and run and run ...
8 >
9 > At that point I have lost access to the keyboard and the monitor does not wake
10 > up if I move the mouse. Using ssh to connect shows that the machine is off
11 > the network, so I assume that the NIC is also suspended. The only way to
12 > recover is to pull the plug. :-(
13 >
14 > Unfortunately, mysql has left a lock file behind, so it won't start at reboot
15 > until I remove the lockfile.
16 >
17 > Now, here's the strange thing about all this. I have 4 RAM modules, 2x1G and
18 > 2x500M. Following the manual I have installed them in this order:
19 >
20 > slot 1 - 1G,
21 > slot 2 - 0.5G,
22 > slot 3 - 1G,
23 > slot 4 - 0.5G
24 >
25 > If I try to suspend the machine soon after boot, when it is still using low
26 > amounts of memory, the machine will suspend each time without fail (just like
27 > it used to do in the past).
28 >
29 > If I wait until the machine is using more than 1G or so, then it will always
30 > crash.
31 >
32 > I'm running memtest86+ just in case, but 3 passes and no errors are shown so
33 > far. Suspend to RAM is really a time saver on this machine and was being used
34 > at least 4-5 times a day. Now the box is running non-stop 16 hours a day or
35 > more, which is wasteful (although with the Pentium4 I'm saving on central
36 > heating bills!) Any ideas what I can look into to resolve this?
37 > --
38 > Regards,
39 > Mick
42 Hi Mick,
43
44 one thing, which is able to produce any kind of error except those, which one
45 would exspect in a certain context, is a bad capicitor on the mobo (or
46 sometimes in the power supply).
47
48 If I understand your posting correctly, your PC is not the youngest
49 one...?
50
51 I had a motherboard, which completly fails to boot the very first
52 stages of the kernel boot process, but perfectly runs memtest86....
53 Bad capacitors...
54
55 More RAM means more power.
56
57 What happens, if you change the RAMS in such a manner:
58
59 slot 1 - 0.5G,
60 slot 2 - 1G,
61 slot 3 - 0.5G
62 slot 4 - 1G,
63
64 ?
65
66 Does teh computer have problems after accessing slot 2 or after access
67 more than 1G?
68
69 Best regards,
70 mcc